Subject: Re: [boost] Current Guidance on Compiler Warnings?
From: Daniela Engert (dani_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-11-20 19:14:04

Am 19.11.2018 um 20:20 schrieb Brian Kuhl via Boost:

> Many of our customers make certified systems ( Planes, Trains, Medical
> Equipment, Factory Automation, etc. ) and the trend in theses industries is
> to be pedantic about eliminating all compiler warnings.

I run our in-house Boost distribution with the same policy (geared
towards Visual Studio). It took me tons of work over several years to
get there but during the process of auditing every warning (and dealing
with it one way or the other) I actually found errors. Beyond that, the
tests have to pass not only in debug build like the test matrix does but
also in release build, plus both 32 bit and 64 bit. Each one of the four
modes exhibits different sets of warnings and errors in some libraries.
Some libraries are poster-childs of careful programming, others - even
new ones - less so.

That may sound egregious but this is how we develop our software for
industrial QA machines.

Ciao
  Dani