Subject: [boost] Executable files in Boost git repostories
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-12-04 00:24:30

We have again run into the situation where files with a Linux executable
permission have been committed to various Boost git repositories, with
Jim King creating a PR and list of these files in Boost Admin. I have
fixed these for the repositories for which I have write access, and
created PRs for the other repositories. But this begs the question as to
what Boost's stance should be about adding actual executable files to a
Boost git repository ? As an example a Linux bash command file was added
to a particular repository and I created a PR to remove the executable
file permission from the file. But the maintainer of the repository
feels this is wrong and the Linux bash file should retain the executable
file permissions and that the file should be part of the repository. But
of course I am more interested here about the general principal of the
matter. Obviously operating system command/batch files are executable
files, but should they be so in a repository.

Finally should be not have some sort of git hook that somehow eliminates
this recurring problem of files with executable permissions being
periodically committed to a Boost git repository ? Most all of the files
I "fixed" or created PRs for are clearly source files what can not be
"executed" in any way. But this happening again is a real problem to
have to clean up each time.