Subject: Re: [boost] Let's discuss dropping support for msvc <= 9.0 (2008), gcc < 4.6, clang < 3.4
From: Roger Leigh (rleigh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-12-12 17:08:29

On 12/12/2018 16:55, jrmarsha via Boost wrote:
> Wouldn't dropping gcc 4.6 drop support for RHEL 7.x?  That might cause
> some off-the-wall problems for some users.  Can anyone speak to this
> with any more knowledge?

RedHat and CentOS 7.x and 6.x have devtoolset-7, and now devtoolset-8
since a few weeks back, which provide GCC 7.x and 8.x, respectively.
They are binary compatible with the toolchain and libstdc++ of the base
system, and so can be used as a drop-in replacement. I've been using
the older devtoolset-4 and newer devtoolset-7 for years, and I'll be
upgrading to devtoolset-8 in the next few weeks (not yet available via
yum for CentOS, but will be in the next few days I expect).

In consequence, dropping GCC 4.x does not preclude using a new Boost on
RHEL.

Regards,
Roger