Subject: Re: [boost] Let's discuss dropping support for msvc <= 9.0 (2008), gcc < 4.6, clang < 3.4
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-12-12 15:30:50

On 12/12/18 6:53 AM, James E. King III via Boost wrote:
> During the Boost 1.69.0 release there was a regression on Visual Studio
> 2005 (msvc-8.0). Microsoft ended support for msvc-8.0 on December 4,
> 2016. I was going to argue we let it happen, but it wasn't the right time
> to discuss that sort of change.
>
> Boost has a very large compatibility matrix which increases the effort
> required, and sometimes limits solutions development, to get out a quality
> release. The boost project as a whole agreed in summer 2018 that if
> repository maintainers wanted to drop C++03 support per repository to make
> substantial improvements or simplifications, or to ease maintenance then
> they are able to do so. *Folks who need support for older language levels
> and older compilers can always download an older version of Boost.*

<snip>

If we consider boost more of a federation of libraries rather than one
large "library", then we can just leave the decision of level of support
up to the lean maintainer. Boost has required that libraries support
the latest C++ standard. Anything other than that is optional. So I
don't believe that this requires forming any consensus.

Robert Ramey