Subject: Re: [boost] Let's discuss dropping support for msvc <= 9.0 (2008), gcc < 4.6, clang < 3.4
From: Alexander Grund (alexander.grund_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-12-13 07:53:46

Am 12.12.18 um 21:39 schrieb Robert Ramey via Boost:
> On 12/12/18 11:01 AM, stefan via Boost wrote:
>>> Anything other than that is optional. So I don't believe that this
>>> requires forming any consensus.
>>
>> I agree. However, given that at present a lot of effort is put into
>> testing Boost as a whole, I think it makes sense to ask whether this
>> is a good point to drop testers running with obsoleted compiler
>> versions.
>
> By the same token, testers can test whatever they want to.  That is,
> that is most useful to them.

There is a test matrix for Boost as a whole, right? It is documented
publicly which exact compiler versions are tested for Boost as a whole.

I'm very much in favor of this proposal: It is clear and even has
defined "what it means" which avoids what happened to "dropping C++03"
or "Support CMake":

- Clean up build matrix of Boost super project
- Change documentation accordingly
- Of course individual libraries are free to do what they want IN
ADDITION to those "officially supported" versions, but they don't have to

So I think "We no longer block releases due to incompatibility with
these compilers." is the key.
Am I right, that currently Boost builds in all configurations stated in
the release notes? And that a failure on one in one library will be
considered a bug (Exception: C++AA libs which are only build on C++AA+)?
This would contradict "Anything other than that [Latest C++/Compiler
version] is optional."

Alex