Subject: Re: [boost] building, debugging and contributing to an individual boost library
From: Bjorn Reese (breese_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-02-17 13:10:10

On 2/17/19 7:23 AM, Sean Farrow via Boost wrote:

> Also, is there a way of forking boost completely, or should I just fork individual libraries?

I usually checkout/clone all of boost, and then fork the individual
library that I want to contribute to.

In general, individual boost libraries are best build from within
the entire boost tree. You can use symbolic links to your fork, but I
prefer to use a bit of git magic instead.

The example below illustrates this for Boost.Core. Notice that you
need to change insert_user_name_here and insert_branch_name_here.

# From the boost tree
cd libs/core

# Add git aliases for upstream and my own fork
git remote add upstream https://github.com/boostorg/core
git remote add fork git_at_[hidden]/insert_user_name_here/core

# Develop on own fork
git remote set-url origin `git remote get-url fork`
git pull

# Sync with upstream
git fetch upstream
git merge upstream/develop
git push

# Prepare for pull-request
git checkout -b feature/insert_branch_name_here
git merge develop # or git rebase develop
# Then develop code and push commits, and finally do pull-request
# via GitHub interface

# Restore boost tree after pull-request
git checkout develop
git remote set-url origin `git remote get-url upstream`
git pull