Subject: Re: [boost] Coordinating Boost Releases with compiler releases
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-03-14 15:29:33

On 3/14/19 6:19 PM, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:
> Andrey Semashev wrote:
>
>> On 3/14/19 5:53 PM, Marshall Clow via Boost wrote:
>
>> > In the thread "MSVC 2019 and 1.70 beta", there has been a discussion
>> > about what to do about support for MSVC 2019, which is due to be >
>> released right about the same time that Boost 1.70.  One person >
>> suggested that we delay the boost release until after the MSVC release
>> > (I think the suggestion was "May").

>> I agree with you, compiler (or other software) releases are not the
>> reason to shift Boost releases.
>
> Please don't redirect the discussion into irrelevancy. There is no need
> to delay Boost 17.0 (Apr 10) until after VS 2019 (Apr 2), because in
> this universe time flows forwards, not backwards. And "May" was a
> flippant reference to Theresa May, not the month of May.

I didn't follow the original discussion, but the OP of this thread
certainly suggested to delay the Boost release, unless I'm misreading
something. I was responding to that suggestion.

> The subject under discussion is whether we should release, in 1.70, the
> Boost.Build changes that enable VS 2019 (currently in develop but not in
> master), and if so, how.

I'm not opposed to merging those changes to master before the release,
provided that they are tested in develop (presumably, with a pre-release
version of VS 2019) and don't break anything.