Subject: Re: [boost] How should I teach a C++ college class?
From: Richard Hodges (hodges.r_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-03-17 10:37:48

My 2c:

Suggest teaching latest standards (which for now is c++17), touch on c++2a,
particularly coroutines, as this will be a game-changer for the way c++ is
used.

Teach the single responsibility principle and separation of concerns.

Encourage the use of standard algorithms and containers, particularly the
use of std::vector and std::array over c arrays and std::string over c
strings.

Touch on interoperability with c libraries as this is still important.

Teach the use of std::unique_ptr with custom destructor for managing
c-library objects while gaining the benefit of RAII.

Teach RAII, referring back to the Single Responsibility Principle and how
this enables easy, perfect RAII in objects that manage external resources.

Certainly mention boost and how features in boost tend to migrate into the
standard over time.