Subject: Re: [boost] [variant2] Formal review
From: Andrzej Krzemienski (akrzemi1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-04-15 15:15:47

pon., 15 kwi 2019 o 16:46 Phil Endecott via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
napisał(a):

> Emil Dotchevski wrote:
> > If the design allows for one more state, then that state must be handled:
> > various functions in the program must check "is the object empty" and
> > define behavior for that case.
>
> I think that's often not really the case; at least, it is not a large
> burden.
>
> It seems to me that in many/most cases, the empty state is essentially
> transient; it can exist between the throw in the assignment and the
> end of the variant's scope:
>
> void f() {
> variant<...> v{42};
> v = something; // throw in assignment; v is empty
> foo(); // skipped
> blah(); // skipped
> // v is destructed
> }
>
> You can only observe the empty state if you have a try/catch inside the
> scope of the variant. Or possibly something with a dtor that accesses
> the variant. If you limit yourself to not doing that, then you can
> ignore the possibility of empty in the rest of your logic.
>
> What do others think? Do you believe that it would be common to
> catch the exception thrown during the variant assignment and not
> "fix up" the variant's value, such that code after the catch could
> see the variant in its empty state?

"Common" may not be the right word here. If there were practical use cases
in correct programs that do it that are not common we would have to strive
even more to address this case. But my position is that programs that
correctly handle exceptions, and where people understand what a basic
guarantee is and is not, *never* do this.

Of course, we can invent many pervert examples that do this, but I cannot
think of any in the program that handles exceptions in a correct way: never
tries to observe the state of the object that threw from basic-guarantee
operation.

Regards,
&rzej;