Subject: Re: [boost] To modularize, or not to modularize. What is the plan?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-05-07 19:31:58

On 5/7/19 7:49 AM, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:
> Robert Ramey wrote:
>
>> Get me boost library X and place in directory location Y.
>
> This is at present roughly achievable with the following sequence of
> commands:
>
>  git clone --depth 1 https://github.com/boostorg/boost.git
>  cd boost
>  git submodule update --init tools/boostdep libs/$X
>  python tools/boostdep/depinst/depinst.py -X test $X
>  ./bootstrap.sh
>  ./b2 --prefix=$Y --with-$X install

hmmmm - look at this more carefully.

a) I have to clone the whole of boost including the superproject. That's
exactly what I'm trying to avoid.
b) i have to build and invoke b2. Another thing i want to avoid.

I guess the simplest would be to:

a) create a directory named boost.
b) clone the library(s) into this local boost directory
manually move the libraries include/boost/.. subdirectory
into my newly created boost directory. Optionally I can create links
to do the same thing.
c) add to the path to this directory to the INCLUDE path
d) compile and link my app
e) I will discover some other missing libraries, repeat the above.
f) until my app builds.

At this point I will have a minimally dependent build of my application.

No tools, no hassle. It's a pain, but its a one time thing. I only
need to do it when I add a new boost library to my app.

If I used the linking option above and I'm still hooked to the boost
repos, I can selectively or collectively pull all the latest updates or
I can switch builds between master/develop at any time to the past.
This is extra sauce who don't want to make their lives too simple.

Robert Ramey