From: Neil Groves (neilgroves_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-06-13 19:09:23

On Thu, 13 Jun 2019, 16:28 Max Jendruk via Boost, <boost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> Hello everyone,

Hi

> I submitted a bugfix on Github about a month ago that fixes an issue where
> passing a (non-reference) value type as Reference parameter to any_range
> could lead to undefined behaviour. The issue has been known for a while (5
> years). I would like to know when I can expect this to be merged.

I maintain Boost.Range and I frequently take longer than any of us would
like due to work and family commitments.

There are ways to abuse Boost.Range that lead to undefined behaviour. Some
are like the reference lifetime of temporaries. All of the general changes
that I have analysed have unintended consequences worse than the original
issue.

Boost.Range v3 fixes the issue by design. V3 is very compelling for new
projects.

Also, is there a general review cycle that I'm not aware of?

I don't know what you are aware of, but for fixes I generally look at the
branch, run against the test matrix and sometimes test against large scale
codebases with a change.

> There are still a couple of other pull requests open, some of which were
> opened over a year ago. Just by looking at the activity on Github, it's
> difficult to determined how actively Boost.Range is still being maintained.
> What is the development/maintenance status of the library?

It is actively maintained. Some issues are handled quickly, others less so.

> I'm wondering whether it would be worth the time implementing a few more
> adaptors similar to those in the C++20 standard like take_view, join_view,
> and all_view, which I'd be happy to do. Are additions to the library still
> being accepted at this point?

You are welcome to contribute. It is up to you to decide if it is worth it.

I will continue to do what I can, when I can.

> Best regards,
> Max

Regards,
Neil