From: Gavin Lambert (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-07-03 01:07:03

On 29/06/2019 17:41, Robert Ramey wrote:
> Since C++17 is backward compatible with C++03 - I would be very very
> surprise if it failed to work.  In fact I always test with std=C++03
> flag to ensure exactly that.

We're not even talking about C++17, we're talking about VS2017.

Quite apart from anything else already mentioned, the build scripts in
Boost 1.47 don't know how to find the existence of the VS2017 compiler,
since it didn't exist at the time and it uses a very different
installation mechanism from prior versions of VS. (And the VS compiler
build scripts were never particularly forward-compatible to begin with.)

Since the OP didn't specify which part of the build was failing, let
alone any specific error messages, it's just as likely for this to be
the problem as any of the other issues.

Ultimately, the already-given solution is straightforward: don't do that.