From: Andrzej Krzemienski (akrzemi1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-08-07 14:19:09

pon., 29 lip 2019 o 17:35 Zach Laine via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
napisał(a):

> I've compiled the results of the reviews of out_ptr during its recent
> review.

Thanks Zach for managing the review, and thanks JeanHeydfor submitting the
library.

> [...]
> uses will never throw in out_ptr's types' dtors, unless the user provides a
> throwing deleter.
>
> - Multiple reviewers disagreed with the use of template specialization as a
> customization mechanism.
>
> - There was widespread concern about the use of potentially UB-invoking
> tricks to get max performance out of the implementation.
>
> - Many reviewers wanted a more typical Boost tutorial introduction in the
> documentation.
>

> Now please permit me a digression.
>
> The library attempts to take a call that looks like this (simplest call
> possible):
>
> // CASE 0
> foo * new_foo;
> TODO
> if (!create_foo(&new_foo)) {
> // etc. ...
> }
>
> And turn it into something as close as possible to this:
>
> // CASE 1
> std::unique_ptr<foo> new_foo;
> if (!create_foo(new_foo)) {
> // etc. ...
> }
>
> out_ptr does a great job of this lexically:
>
> // CASE 2
> std::unique_ptr<foo> new_foo;
> if (!create_foo(out_ptr(new_foo))) {
> // etc. ...
> }
>
> If you have not written thousands of lines of code that look like case 0,
> stop for a second and consider what it would be like to drop those
> thousands of raw pointers into your code, and how much you would like to
> replace them all with unique_ptrs.
>
> Now consider what it would take you to write all the wrapping functions
> necessary to make those thousands of calls look like case 1. You may make
> tooling to generate the wrappers, and that's time consuming. Writing it by
> hand is even more so.
>
> out_ptr also has the nice property that using it as I have above with
> unique_ptr does not change the meaning of the code, except to ensure that
> new_foo is guaranteed to be treated in a RAII manner. Thus we get
> increased exception safety, memory leak mitigation, etc. -- y'know, all
> that RAII stuff. If out_ptr is implemented well, case 2 should produce
> nearly identical object code to case 0, except that case 2 handles calling
> new_foo's dtor at the right time.
>
> Note that because of this, you have the same relationship to the C API in
> all three cases. That is, you need to check for the success value returned
> from create_foo(), and you need to know what create_foo()'s contract is in
> the face of errors -- did it write to new_foo or not? out_ptr is how you
> get from raw pointers to RAII ones, not how you solve all programming
> problems related to calling functions.
>
> Hopefully that motivates the use case for out_ptr, even if you don't need
> it in your own code. Hopefully that also allays concerns that out_ptr is
> not doing enough -- doing more is outside the library's scope.

This is a very useful summary. It really belongs in the documentation of
out_ptr.

> Now, on to exceptions in out_ptr's types' dtors. I heard a lot of
> discussion about this during the review. To me, concerns about what
> happens when an out_ptr or an inout_ptr throws in its dtor misses the point
> entirely, because it is concerned with fixing corner cases we should not
> even care to support. Instead of worrying about the semantics of
> exceptions in those kinds of situations, we should instead be asking why we
> want to support user code like this:
>
> ... } catch {
> create_foo(in_out_ptr(my_shared_ptr_to_a_foo));
> }
>
> In other words, we don't really care about the dtor exceptions, unless:
> - there is an active exception already, and
> - we are also calling a C API to create a new object (a possible, but
> certainly atypical thing to do when handling an exception), and
> - we're catching this new object in a shared_ptr-like smart pointer that
> might throw on construction.
>
> Who writes code like that? Few people, perhaps none. It's not impossible
> to see code like that, but until there are well-motivated cases for this,
> maybe leave it for a later version of the library.

This question comes up once in a while, and it is not tied to out_ptr.
There is a number of libraries that want to use destructors for other
things than releasing resources. I do not necessarily agree with the above
reasoning, but I think it would be beneficial if we were able to come up
with a general guidance on this in Boost, and then just refer to it when
reviewing a library like out_ptr.

Regards,
&rzej;