From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-12-05 08:41:43

On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 at 00:23, Siddhartha Sen via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Being new to this, I have tried looking up the functionalities of GIL. I
> was thinking of implementing the addition of negative image conversion as
> well to GIL, incorporating the usage of parallel programming using OpenMP
> library. Is there any demand for that?

(speaking as one of current maintainers of GIL.)

I can't tell if there is a demand, but if you have a use case for that
and you'd like to contribute it for GIL, then go for it and
feel free to contribute to GIL
You can propose it as an extension.

> I feel that parallel programming
> will massively improve the computational efficiency of GIL.

There is this old but usable extension by VIctor Bogado
https://github.com/boost-gil/gil_threaded

Although I am not a user of OpenMP myself,
I have used GIL in multi-threaded processing of images,
using Microsoft PPL or Intel TBB.
Generally, it's a very interesting topic to explore.

Best regards,