From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-12-05 14:11:41

On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 6:07 AM Andrzej Krzemienski <akrzemi1_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I would like to know more. Given that fixed_string does not have operator+,
> as well as the description above, I am inclined to think that it is not treated
> as a string, but as a buffer of characters. Next question is, why is a vector
> with fixed capacity not enough for this purpose? Do you ever have a need
> to call `.find_first_not_of()` in your use cases?

When dealing primarily with text based protocols: HTTP, URL, JSON,
etc... you usually want to perform string operations. I agree that
"drop-in replacement for std::string" is not a precise description for
the purpose of the library, but it is partially correct. If you have
code that currently uses std::string to perform calculations, and you
want to impose a limit on the amount of data it can process while
simultaneously avoiding memory allocations, a fixed_string is going to
be easier to integrate than vector<char>.

Thanks