From: Daniela Engert (dani_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-12-07 06:51:04

Hi Tom!

Am 06.12.2019 um 22:35 schrieb Tom Kent via Boost:
> On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 10:15 AM Daniela Engert via Boost <
> boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> Am 05.12.2019 um 16:16 schrieb Tobias Loew via Boost:
>> http://boost.2283326.n4.nabble.com/release-proto-MSVC-19-24-28314-VS-2019-16-4-0-won-t-compile-proto-s-generate-hpp-td4710720.html
>>
>>> cause it's a showstopper for the latest VS 2019 (16.4.0).
>>>
>>> It's not an error introduced in 1.72 but already there for a long time,
>> and
>>> now the latest MSVC version produces an error on that MSVC-workaround.
>> I've noticed this as well, today. As a quick hack I simply disabled the
>> workaround at line 233 for BOOST_MSVC >= 1924. Obviously, the problem
>> mentioned by the dead link is no longer a thing. With this modification,
>> Boost.Log is successfully compiling again.
>>

> Can you verify that this is only VS 16.4.0 and doesn't apply to 16.3.x? If
> so, that is scary.

It definitely was compiling just fine until 16.3.7, because this was the
version that I have been using as my main compiler at work before
switching to 16.4.0 two days ago. Our ubiquitously used logging library
depends on Boost.Log which suddenly became affected from the workaround
in Boost.Proto no longer compiling.

Unfortunately, I've never compiled our production code with any of the
16.4-pre versions. I only did with my C++20 Modules experiments during
my talk preparations, but I noticed that despite the seemingly minor
bump 16.3 -> 16.4, the compiler learned a couple of new features (e.g.
concepts, the new C++20 syntax). So, until there is a thorough
exploration with all Boost libs compiled with msvc 16.4.0 in all 4 modes
(32/64, debug/release), there might lurk other surprises as well.

Ciao
  Dani

--
PGP/GPG: 2CCB 3ECB 0954 5CD3 B0DB 6AA0 BA03 56A1 2C4638C5