From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-12-08 18:44:22

On 12/8/19 10:01 AM, Robert Ramey via Boost wrote:
> On 12/8/19 8:02 AM, Vinnie Falco via Boost wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 3:45 AM Bjorn Reese via Boost
>> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>> Should there be a JSON archive for Boost.Serialization?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> The archive should be immune to reordering of keys.

an "archive" in the sense used by boost serialization is not and cannot
be immune to the reordering of keys.

>> That is, that the
>> archive can be correctly deserialized even if the keys are reordered
>> in the JSON after serialization.

an "archive" in the sense used by boost serialization cannot do this.

Of course, if compatibility with the current Boost Serialization library
is not a consideration then one can define "archive" anyway he wants. If
wants to make a different serialization library, again, one could define
"archive" in accordance with that new library.

I remember that I got the word "archive" from the MS MFC library which
used this term and handles the same way.

The above is true of all other libraries that I know about which refer
to themselves as "serialization libraries". This included MS .Net,
Cereal, and others. FYI - Cereal includes an archive based on JSON I
believe if you want to look at it.

I've tried to explain why serialization does not imply the facility to
edit an archive in a general sense. I'm not sure how much more to say
about this.

Robert Ramey