From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-01-08 01:43:39

Yakov Galka wrote:

> That's my point essentially. However Gavin refers to the fact that the
> current WTF-8 spec explicitly says that an encoding of high/low surrogate
> pairs is invalid in WTF-8.

Ah that.

Yes, concatenating two character sequences can result in technically invalid
WTF-8. But that's not an issue unique to Windows. You can do the same on any
non-Windows platform. It's still not clear how this prevents a `path` class
from storing ~WTF-8 on Windows, or exposing a char-based API that ~WTF-8
decodes when passing to Windows, and encodes on the reverse trip.