From: sarthak (sarthakagrawal8_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-02-23 09:47:12

Hi everyone, I am Sarthak, a second year undergraduate engineering student. I
wish to contribute to boost open source development during gsoc2020,
specifically to Boost.GIL. But, I am not sure whether I am competent enough
to contribute meaningfully to the organization (see the last point for
precise question), I am hoping that someone here can give me advice
regarding the same :)

First, my reasons to contribute to boost -
- I am reasonably proficient in programming (C++ included). I know I will be
able to demonstrate it through programming competency test and all. In my
day to day programming I normally do not use meta programming techniques
which are prevalent in boost, this has made me more excited to work on boost
because I will get to use these new fancy constructs :D

- I just want to be part of open source community for once, sincerely. I
have been using FOSS since forever and as a developer I have been longing to
pay back, this is a good chance for me to do the same.

- Why boost over any other organization? Largely because C++. I like the
multi-resolution philosophy of C++ that you can get as close to machine as
possible, or you can do high level manipulations through libraries and
generics. More on that in proposal ;)

- Why GIL (Project 1)? I want to learn image processing.

Now this is where it gets tricky, the thing is that I am passionate about
doing image processing, but I am not well versed with its theory. I have
done a course on Signals and Systems in my university but that is pretty
much it. This means that at the least I would need to learn image processing
algorithms as we go on. Not that I hate it (on the contrary in fact) but
that I am not really sure if it is possible at all for someone like me to
contribute meaningfully during the few months of GSoC. I would love to hear
from a mentor's experience of previous students on this. Honestly I would
like to be rejected now if at all than after submitting my proposal with
false hopes, or worse moving on with GSoC with such false hopes.

I can also contribute to boost multiprecision in which I am substantially
more experienced, but my first interest is in GIL and therefore if possible
I would like to take the project in GIL.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks for reading.

--
Sent from: http://boost.2283326.n4.nabble.com/Boost-Dev-f2600599.html