From: Rainer Deyke (rainerd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-02-26 17:05:43

On 26.02.20 16:14, degski via Boost wrote:
> I don't think this is a good idea. Crypto is very hard and 'generic' crypto
> is not useful to amateurs (that's the intended audience for this
> Boost-component), imho (unless one insists on doing it wrongly). A
> crypto-lib should not be generic, but should be guiding and advising (this
> is not a Boost-approach to things, in general), like 'libsodium' does.

There are two categories of cryptography usage. In the first category,
one can choose the algorithm because one controls both endpoints. In
the second category, the algorithm is already decided by the other
endpoint. The guidance provided by libsodium is great for the first
category. The large selection of algorithms provided by Crypto++ is
great for the second category.

I like and use libsodium, but I am under no illusions that it is
sufficient for everybody's, or even every amateur's, cryptography needs.

--
Rainer Deyke (rainerd_at_[hidden])