From: Rainer Deyke (rainerd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-02-28 15:49:15

On 28.02.20 16:26, degski via Boost wrote:
> Hmm, you're implying that you want to use data from one crypto-lib (or any
> old way of creating that data), and then use (decrypt) that with whatever
> Boost produces. If doing this seriously and the data are (behind the
> scenes) encrypted using OpenSSL, one should use OpenSSL to decrypt in my
> opinion (common sense), then any problem-fixes get correctly pushed
> downstream.

In my example, I don't know or care which how the encrypted zip files
were generated. Could be WinZip or PKZip, both of which are closed
source. The encryption method is specified by the file format, not by
program which generates the file.

> This does not seem a very good idea in the first place as the
> any old-way-of-creating-that-data might not exactly be what you imagine it
> to be. Also the zip example is inherently bad, since this is something
> totally different from encryption, but yes for a C++dev, implementing this
> functionality using streams, it all looks the same, but I think these
> things are substantially different.

You do realize that PKZip has supported encrypted (aka
password-protected) zip files since 1993, right? And strong encryption
since 2002. This is entirely separate from the compression used.

--
Rainer Deyke (rainerd_at_[hidden])