From: degski (degski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-03-03 13:49:06

On Tue, 3 Mar 2020 at 02:16, Richard Hodges via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> Re: signedness of an implementation detail:
>
> (It seems to be that nature of c++ that minor details catalyse the most
> momentous arguments)
>
> It seems to me that:
>
> * degski has a point that there may be some conceptual efficiency gain by
> removing the unsigned restriction
>
> * this would necessarily mean that the overall size of the static_string’s
> memory footprint becomes implementation defined (since the inplementor may
> now choose either a signed 16 bit word to represent the length of a string
> with capacity 128 rather than an 8 bit word.

 I rather not write this, as we have already discussed this to death by
now, but the above should well be perfectly fine. std::string's don't have
the same foot-print in various implementations (possibly different between
debug and release) either, SSO is different ,VC 15 bytes, Clang 23 bytes.

One could argue I guess, that for a static string a fixed footprint is more
important, though, which is what you wrote further down.

I don't care that much, as long as it is flawless. A bonus to me would be
for it to be able to work with a lib like frozen, it has a static string,
but it is rudimentary, just enough to use them with compile-time maps, but
I have used those string already in the past (separately from the
frozen::map), so I guess I have a need for this Boost library. And,
finally, great, it is called static string now, I'm happy with that.

> My recommendation (for what it’s worth) is to ship as is ...

+1

degski

--
@systemdeg
"We value your privacy, click here!" Sod off! - degski