From: Joseph Van Riper (fleeb.fantastique_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-03-04 09:31:30

On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 8:50 PM Ruben Perez via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> I have been writing an ASIO-based client for MySQL, trying to mimic what
> Beast is to HTTP. It currently supports SQL queries and prepared
> statements. It can be viewed here:
>
> https://github.com/anarthal/mysql-asio
>
> Do you guys think this has the potential to be useful or become part of
> Boost long term? Any feedback is very welcome.

Why just MySQL?

I would take more interest in a library capable of supporting many database
engines. Or, if not such a variety, at least target ODBC, as you can reach
more engines through ODBC drivers.

While I understand many people like MySQL, some use cases call for other
engines (like SQLite3, providing a lightweight, simple database file
without all the overhead of MySQL). For a boost library, I would hope it
would not limit the developer to a single engine.

This said, it would be interesting to see some sort of library become part
of the standard library, and boost offers a track towards standardization.
SQL databases are a time tested way to work with data, and I would
certainly use a boost library capable of supporting the engines I use.

To answer your questions directly... yes, it has the potential to be
useful, and perhaps part of boost on a longer term I think, but it should
not limit the developer to a single engine. At a minimum, I should think
it ought to support ODBC.

(BTW, I think Howard Hinnant's date library, or something close to it, is
due for inclusion in the standard library soon... we sure as heck need
it... so if you aren't already doing so, you might want to track that and
support the use of the standard library version of this when it finally
comes out).

- Trey