From: degski (degski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-03-11 11:07:57

On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 at 05:02, Phil Endecott via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> Domen Vrankar wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 10, 2020, 4:51 PM Phil Endecott via Boost <
> boost_at_[hidden]>
> > wrote:
> >> I suspect that for things like streaming compression and encryption
> >> APIs, in a couple of years we'll all agree that the right way to
> >> do them will be as co-routines.
> >>

> > co-routines only add overhead in cases that are processing intensive and
> > run on the local CPU. they are meant for tasks where you wait for the
> > result and CPU can use that thread for something else in the meantime.
>
> Not true - think of generators, for example. You increase performance
> when something has to pause in the middle - for example a compression
> function that needs more input or fills its output - and the paused
> state is more efficiently represented by its stack frame than by an
> explicit state object.
>
> Everyone will understand this better in a couple of years when we have
> implementations to play with.
>
> (I feel old; I've just realised that the last time I used co-routines
> was with Modula-2 in about 1987!)

Luckily, we are now all using Modern C++ now (when the implementations will
finally arrive, that is). I know nothing, but did Modula-2 have modules,
maybe? I remember I was running the OS for a little while, also in the 80's.

degski

--
@systemdeg
"We value your privacy, click here!" Sod off! - degski