From: Alexander Grund (alexander.grund_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-03-16 14:28:37

Am 06.03.20 um 15:14 schrieb degski via Boost:
> On Fri, 6 Mar 2020 at 03:06, Boris Rasin via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>
>> Great work.
>>
>> Have you by any chance tested behavior of this option (available since
>> Windows 10 April 2018 update):
>> "Control Panel - Region - Administrative - Change system locale - Beta:
>> Use Unicode UTF-8 for worldwide language support"?
>>
> w10-1909, still experimental, let's see what w10-2003 brings.

There is also a way to set this in the program itself via a manifest
file since 1903. Obviously this only works for Windows versions newer
than that and you must be prepared if someone runs this on an older version.
I added that to the docu though: https://github.com/boostorg/nowide/pull/77

I also got a few other, minor things to be put in that before I merge to
master.

But anyone checking the current state and reporting issues would be
appreciated.

Another major concern of mine is the use of the custom filebuf. It's
implementation was particularly tricky due to the documentation/std ref
being quite vague or hard to understand.
I was thinking about limiting the scope and using the MSVC extension
`filebuf::open(const wchar_t*, ...)` and requiring
`<ext/stdio_filebuf.hpp>` on others (most stdlibs have it)

Especially: Currently using `std::fseek` and the like but for Windows
with its LLP64 system I'd actually need to use `_fseek64` after finding
out when this is available... So currently >2GB files are not supported.
Using the existing implementation of the filebuf would eliminate the
need to implement something like that.

Regards,
Alex