From: Damian Vicino (damian_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-03-24 02:17:55

Hi Robert,

El lun., 23 mar. 2020 a las 15:07, Robert Ramey via Boost (<
boost_at_[hidden]>) escribió:

> On 2/22/20 3:22 PM, David Bellot via Boost wrote:
> > Hi Boost community,
> >
> > we are recruiting the mentors for the Google Summer of Code 2020. If you
> > wish to be a mentor, please contact me directly and I'll send you an
> invite.
> >
> > We need at least 10 mentors this year. Obviously, a mentor comes with
> ideas
> > of projects and proposals for this Summer.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > David
>
> Hmmmm - mentors get paid? This is the first time I heard of this. I
> did it a couple of years ago and didn't get paid. I did get invited to
> an "unconference" at google. It was kind of interesting to see the
> google campus. And I was very impressed with the quality of free food
> available seemingly on demand. I couldn't help but wonder if google
> employees are overweight.

I think the original mail subject was misleading, and I also understand (as
English as a second language speaker, how it could get wrong). The email
intention was calling for volunteers to mentor, there is hire involved, not
even a salary.
Last few years there was some money involved, but it was never offered
upfront, it was decided after the GSOC was done.GSOC gives some money to
the org for each successful student and Boost decided to first pay for the
2 member that do the trip to the summit and distribute the excess between
the other mentors to cover any expenses incurred. It was even distributed
in different ways in different years, I remember at least once was
distributed equally per mentor, another year was distributed equally per
project mentored (the difference is in those whose co-mentor or mentor more
than 1 project). I wouldn't call it getting paid, more like an expense
report with no need to present the tickets.

> Also - I was under the impression that ideas for projects and proposals
> came not from mentors but from applicants and that this was the basis
> for accepting/rejecting proposals.

Proposals still come from students, but each potential mentor posts some
examples of proposals so students got a starting point to work on.
I never saw someone posting a copy/paste proposal from what's on the
example, but if it ever happens, it will never passes. This was always that
way. The reason is that Google asks for example proposal to be posted
publicly before accepting the Org each year.