From: Jeff Garland (azswdude_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-03-24 21:40:07

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 12:19 PM John Maddock via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 24/03/2020 19:06, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:
> > Jeff Garland wrote:
> >
> >> The suppression macro would need to go into the header, but it
> >> wouldn't solve the issue for a lexical_cast user.
> >
> > The issue for the lexical_cast user is that his code will break when
> > Math drops C++03 support, and the whole point of the message is to
> > communicate this.

Although I think we've determined that the functions involved won't be
impacted -- so we're warning about a future non-event. Perhaps turning off
the warning in lexical_cast is the correct option for 1.73 with a refactor
(probably of math functions to core) for 1.74.

> > The message is supposed to be verbose and annoying, because otherwise
> > nobody will pay any attention to it. Sure, the user has no immediate
> > recourse; he can only apply pressure on the lexical_cast maintainers
> > to deal with it somehow. But again, if there's no message, nobody will
> > care.
>
> Haha, yes, that's basically why I made it so... annoying.
>
> Having the desired effect :) If it looked trivial and difficult to mess up
I'd commit the pr to lexical_cast myself, no pressure required. But
looking at the code it wasn't trivial and I can see why it was wise to
depend on the expertise of boost.math instead of trying to re-invent.

Jeff