From: Glen Fernandes (glen.fernandes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-05-02 16:34:23

On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 12:19 PM Vinnie Falco <vinnie.falco_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 9:15 AM Glen Fernandes via Boost
> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > are you asking for a 1.73.1 Boost release?
>
> What are the pros and cons of each option?

Option 1 (providing a patch) is very easy to do. In fact, I would
suggest doing it immediately once you've put those changes through
your testing and are sure they're ready for users.

However, some users don't apply these patches. They just upgrade to
official Boost releases. So option 1 wouldn't cover them. Option 2 (a
1.73.1 release) would work for them. Or they would wait until 1.74 a
few months from now.

A new release is costly - i.e. going through the whole release process
(release candidates, testing, etc.) and really should only be reserved
for something critical (e.g. Most libraries in Boost 1.73 are largely
unusable by many users because of some defect).

Glen