From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-07-17 14:20:01

On 15/07/2020 17:35, Jeff Trull via Boost wrote:
> There's been a number of independent efforts to produce pretty-printers (or
> "visualizers") for different popular Boost libraries. The one I like most
> due to its thoughtful execution is probably this one
> <https://github.com/ruediger/Boost-Pretty-Printer>. But maintaining a set
> of pretty-printers out of tree is a challenge for all the usual reasons.
> Having libraries optionally supply and maintain them is much more
> sustainable.
>
> Would it be possible to define a small set of standard ways (file
> locations, build steps) for a library to store and install pretty-printers
> for gdb and/or Visual Studio?

Standlone Outcome links in via cmake target the debugger pretty printer
for MSVC. It silently "just works".

I am unaware of any similar "silently just works" technique for gdb,
sadly. And you might note that on my Linux at least, libstdc++ has no
default discovered pretty printers for gdb either.

Anyway, any library maintainer I'm sure would accept a PR adding a MSVC
pretty printer for their library.

Niall