From: pbristow_at_[hidden]
Date: 2020-09-07 09:24:32

I think that BOOST_HAS_FLOAT128 Is telling the truth - it does not work for Clang and Intel ☹ (but does for GCC 😊)

On float128 support, we discussed some progress on https://github.com/boostorg/math/issues/181 but I have yet to get this to work on Windows Mingw and Clang 9.
It would be good to hear if others have made more progress (you report an unspecified error).

If you want to use 128-bit float, you can always use the Boost.Multiprecision cpp_bin_float_quad type, but it is slower of course than the hand-crafted assembler in quadmath.h.

It is possible to use the macro BOOST_HAS_FLOAT128 To use float128 when available else cpp_bin_float_quad so you can make it 'compiler portable' for now.

IO Operators and string convertors would indeed be nice. Code most welcome 😉

I am sure the @jzmaddock, custodian of Boost config will comment on the other suggestions.

HTH

Paul