From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-11-29 17:19:44

Jeff Garland wrote:

> Believe g++10 is now c++14 by default

That's what I said. g++-6 and up (and clang++-6.0 and up) are C++14 by
default.

> > The other major consumer of pre-C++11 Boost are non-mainstream platforms
> > such as z/OS, where people are still stuck with C++03.
> >
> > See e.g.
> >
> > https://github.com/boostorg/build/issues/534
> > https://github.com/boostorg/build/issues/535
> > https://github.com/boostorg/build/issues/519
> > https://github.com/boostorg/build/issues/511
> > https://github.com/boostorg/build/issues/473
> > https://github.com/boostorg/build/issues/471
>
> Thanks. I'm less concerned with supporting them frankly. They have a
> boost that they can use now -- the rest of us can move on.

As far as I can see, the major problem with b2 dropping C++03 was not the
fact that it happened, but that it happened without Boost announcing that
C++03 is no longer supported for building Boost.

Technically, you could still build Boost if you compiled just b2
with -std=c++11, but in the real world nobody cares for that distinction.
Boost doesn't build, and that's that.