From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-12-02 10:12:38

On 12/2/20 1:21 AM, Edward Diener via Boost wrote:

> I believe the great majority of Boost libraries attempt to maintain ABI
> compatibility between releases.

My impression is the opposite. Boost has never declared backward ABI or
API compatibility. There's a reason why binary distributions of Boost
append a version tag that matches Boost version to packages and binaries.

> But just like with compilers it is not
> always possible between releases.

You have to give credit to libstdc++ developers at the very least. It
maintains backward ABI compatibility across all C++ standard versions
and across libstdc++ releases for many years. I think, libc++ also does
the same, although I'm not following its development.