From: Jeff Garland (azswdude_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-12-03 23:30:37

On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 11:09 AM Peter Dimov via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> Ville Voutilainen wrote:
>
> > There's a non-zero amount of users to whom the lack of ABI stability in
> > boost is a reason not to touch boost with a ten-foot pole.
>
> That's not common. It's very unusual to want to upgrade Boost without
> recompiling the rest of the software. Typically the people who want ABI
> stability use the system-supplied Boost and it's fixed for the particular
> distro.

For sure with 'day job code', we don't upgrade boost (or all the other open
source libs) just because a new version appears. It tends to go along with,
as recently, an OS and compiler update where we assume binary compatibility
is mostly out the window anyway. And then we usually get to see the boost
API breaks, which is a different kind of break, but also might deter some
from using boost. But frankly you have to be a boost user to know that
problem exists...