From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2022-04-06 12:15:03

On 06/04/2022 12:42, Dominique Devienne wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 6, 2022 at 10:44 AM Niall Douglas via Boost
> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>> * It doesn’t interrupt me when “new stuff is available”; I can
 look at it when I want.
>>> I looked at Discourse a year ago, and hated it.
>> Discourse is absolutely awful.
>
> I'd quickly mention (again?) the [Fossil-SCM-based forum][1] used for
> both SQLite and Fossil itself.

It's been a while since I last looked at Fossil, and I like what they've
improved.

Here is an example of a longer discussion:
https://fossil-scm.org/forum/forumpost?name=1dd382219c

- Default view is threaded-chronological, but they put buttons on the
top to quickly switch between views.

- One can quickly toggle Markdown rendering off and on from the top.

- Doesn't need Javascript to render.

- Looks and works fine on a phone.

- Docs claims it works offline from browser cache and will resync next
internet connection, handy if you're on a train or a plane. Nice.

My biggest issue with everything Dr. Hipp has done outside SQLite is
he's fallen into the trap of "one ring to solve all problems" i.e.
Fossil implements a SCM, a wiki, issue tracking, forum software, and
lots of other stuff, all in one program binary.

I don't want lots of stuff in one overarching solution. I want one thing
solved well, and I want it to plug nicely into the most popular tooling.
Which is git for SCM and github for issue tracking.

So that's a big turnoff for me at least, it reminds me of that
all-in-one integrated thingy which Boost had yonks ago and we were never
able to get off some very ancient version of it full of known security
holes. I **really** don't want to go back to that.

Niall