From: René Ferdinand Rivera Morell (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2022-04-17 19:41:57

On Sun, Apr 17, 2022 at 1:08 PM John Maddock via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I've often thought, that what Boost really needs is a "janitor".

I remember doing janitorial duties for some years :-)

> The
> Janitor is someone who's qualified to mend just about anything that
> breaks, doesn't mind doing the boring jobs that no one else what's to do
> (at least not in their free time), and is willing to be told by others
> what jobs are the next priority. In the context of Boost that would
> mean something like:
>
> 1) Determine which libraries are being actively maintained.
>
> 2) Make sure all libraries have decent tests and CI running (yes, even
> the maintained ones, though they would be lower priority).
>
> 3) Make sure all libraries are still fit for purpose, and propose
> libraries that should be deprecated and removed from Boost, then
> Sheppard them through the procedure.
>
> 4) Where general purpose libraries need maintenance, work through the
> PR's and issues, plus any issues shown up during the addition of
> enhanced CI. The priority for which libraries to work on next should be
> decided by feedback on the mailing list (ideally it should be possible
> to vote on it, but we don't have the infra-structure for that yet).
>
> 5) Report back to the mailing list at regular intervals so folks know
> what's happening, and can help identify the next target for maintenance.
>
> 6) Be prepared to engage in some "emergency maintenance" when required,
> as in "library X has a showstopping issue and the maintainer is out on
> contract in Ulaanbaatar".
>
> 7) Where highly domain specific libraries need work (Graph!), agitate
> and cause general mayhem until someone with the right experience steps
> up to the plate and at least gives them a bit of modernization.
>
> Of course the "janitor" need not be one person, and no one person need
> be the designated janitor for life! :)

Right.. But we are looking for someone to be the superintendent. Managing
subordinate janitors who do most of the work. As the C++ Alliance is
funding some of the subordinate janitors :-)

--
-- René Ferdinand Rivera Morell
-- Don't Assume Anything  -- No Supone Nada