From: Tim Haines (thaines.astro_at_[hidden])
Date: 2022-04-19 16:12:16

On Fri, Apr 15, 2022 at 2:29 PM Glen Fernandes <glen.fernandes_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 7, 2022 at 11:12 AM Tim Haines via Boost
> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > Surprisingly, though, it appears that coroutine2 and metaparse started
> out
> > as buildable components, but then switched to being header-only.
> >
> > coroutine2
> > - introduced in 1.59.0
> > - first buildable in 1.59.0
> > - last buildable in 1.64.0
> > - available as of 1.78.0
> >
> > metaparse
> > - introduced in 1.61.0
> > - first buildable in 1.61.0
> > - last buildable in 1.65.1
> > - available as of 1.78.0
> >
> > I cross-referenced the release notes, but I didn't see any mention of
> these
> > components being made header-only. Is this intended behavior?
>
> Metaparse was always header-only, but prior to 1.66.0 it had a
> build/Jamfile.v2 which just built examples and tests:
> build-project ../example ;
> build-project ../test ;
>
> This isn't best-practices, and so build/Jamfile.v2 was rightly removed.

Ah, I see. For my purposes, I'll just assume it was always header-only then.

> Coroutine2 did become header-only in 2017:
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/coroutine2/commit/5b06384117d19b8ce8b52678fe7f62d9f1354155
>
> This wasn't mentioned in the release notes.
>
> We can probably do a better job of indicating which libraries are
> header-only and which are not. Maybe the
> https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_79_0/ list is the best place.

That's what I used to scrape part of my data, so I think that would work
well.

> (The list on
> https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_79_0/more/getting_started/windows.html
> is out of date too.)

I would happily contribute the data I collected to this effort. It also
seems timely as there have been other discussions about updating the
website. I'm assuming https://github.com/boostorg/website would be the
right place to make this contribution?