From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2022-05-06 08:36:10

On 06/05/2022 09:10, John Maddock via Boost wrote:

> Personally, there's little in C++14 that makes that move attractive for
> me.  C++17 yes (for if constexpr).  There may be a few libraries which
> could use the enhanced constexpr support in C++14, but otherwise I'm not
> sure how much practical difference this makes.  On the other hand, C++14
> is the current baseline for current compilers, so I have no objection to
> making this the current Boost baseline as well!

C++ 14 has a *lot* of bugfixes over C++ 11.

These won't matter to you until they do, and when they do, they are most
frustrating.

I note that when GCC and clang changed their default C++ standard they
jumped from 03 to 14. They did not choose 11 at any point. I find that
revealing.

Looking around at other compilers, the only one which ever stopped at 11
as the default was hipcc.

https://gist.github.com/ax3l/53db9fa8a4f4c21ecc5c4100c0d93c94

17 is also a fine default, which it is for GCC 11 onwards. Our work
codebase was 17 right up until this week, when we expect to transition
to 20 as the minimum. And I can then rip out lots of preprocessor
macros, woohoo!

Niall