From: John Maddock (jz.maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2022-05-12 11:22:16

> If I recall correctly, the boost "rules" are that a library submitted
> to boost must be conformant with the most recent version of the C++
> standard. Assume the library gets accepted. Its then no required to be
> constantly upgraded to subsequent standards.  Soooo
>
> a) Because specifies backward compatibility as a requirement, the
> library is guaranteed to  compile and function in all subsequent
> versions of C++
>
> b) Any subsequently added library is also guaranteed to compile and
> function in all version of C++.

Point of pedantry: that's not true at all, stuff get's deprecated and
then removed.

For example unary_function is deprecated in C++11 and removed in C++17,
which has just hit for example:
https://github.com/boostorg/container_hash/issues/22#issuecomment-1124205780
as gcc-12 starts enforcing this (msvc has done so for a while).

There are plenty of other examples.

Best, John.