From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2022-08-22 15:40:41

On Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 7:47 AM Zach Laine <whatwasthataddress_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > > But this leaves us with a problem - how do you modify individual path
> > > segments and query params?
> >
> > Easy -- you just copy them into a flat_map, vector, or whatever.
> > Parsing -> lazy_containers -> user mutations outside of Boost.URL ->
> > writing URLs

It sounds like what you are proposing, is that Boost.URL should remove
its algorithms for performing modifications to the URL. Or at least,
remove the ability to modify the path segments and query parameters in
terms of their equivalent sequences (BidirectionalRange).

The modifiable containers in Boost.URL maintain an important
invariant: modifications to the container will always leave the URL in
a valid state. The implication is that the stored string is always in
its "serialized" form.

> > That last step only needs to understand the different kinds of data it
> > might write, abstractly. That abstraction might be a params_view, a
> > flat_map, or a std::vector<std::pair<strd::string, std::string>>.

This isn't workable at all, for several reasons. First of all when the
user passes an encoded parameter to a modification function (named
with the suffix "_encoded") the library performs validation on the
input to preserve the invariant. Second, the library remembers the
decoded size so that it doesn't have to re-parse that portion of the
URL again. Third, when the user passes a decoded parameter to a
modification function the library applies whatever percent-escapes are
necessary to make the string valid for the part being changed, and
stores that. And finally, there are certain modifications to the URL
which require that the library adjusts the result in order to both
satisfy the user's request and preserve the invariant that all stored
URLs are valid. For example, consider these statements:

    url u( "ldap:local:userdb/8675309" );
    u.remove_scheme();

What should the resulting URL be? Well, it can't be
"local:userdb/8675309" because that still has a scheme. The library
has to produce:

    u == "local%3a/8675309";

In other words we go from an absolute-URI to a relative-ref. In
addition to preserving the invariant that all modifications produce
valid URLs, the library also ensures that it can satisfy every
possible user-requested modification (presuming that no
incorrectly-encoded strings are passed to functions which accept
encoded parameters). There is a fair bit of cleverness going on behind
the scenes to bring this convenience to the user. That would all be
lost if we outsourced mutation operations to std containers.

> > The diagnostics go to some optional output channel, which might be a
> > stream or file or logger. If you don't set the output, the diagnostic
> > is never generated. You set this output in the call to parse*(), as
> > an optional param -- usually a std::function<void(std::string const
> > &)>.

huh...idk about all that. This library was designed for program to
program communication and not really user-input and user display.
Although it could be used for that. If someone wants to print the URL
and show a squiggly line near the part that failed, they can always do
that by calling the parse function that uses an iterator as an
out-param, indicating where the error occurred. I don't know that I
want the URL library to go out of its way to offer this functionality,
especially adding a `std::function` to an API.

Regards