From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-02-23 15:05:40

On 23/02/2023 14:29, Glen Fernandes wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 9:28 AM Niall Douglas via Boost
> <boost_at_[hidden] <mailto:boost_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
>
> To ensure I'm understanding correctly, this means that a core library
> everybody else depends upon could declare it is dropping support for
> C++
> 17 as that is old, and thereafter all dependent libraries by definition
> would require C++ 20 as a minimum?
>
> Correct. The "everybody else" would be given notice two Boost releases
> (6 months) in advance to fork what they want into their own libraries to
> maintain compatibility with older standards.

I know I've been a strong advocate for a Boost 2.0 which required a
minimum of C++ 11 in the past (and I still am), but I'm finding the
above freedom a touch too free.

Core libraries going to C++ 11 works for me. Core libraries going newer
than C++ 11 I'm finding not helpful for a major use case for Boost,
which is "whatever the oldest supported RHEL's compiler is".

RHEL 7 EOLs in June 2024 and it comes with GCC 4.8. I - and I am sure
many if not most Boost users would like Boost core libraries to keep
working on GCC 4.8 until June 2024. After that, rock on with GCC 8,
which is what RHEL 8 ships with, and it defaults to C++ 14.

I assume if a core library announces it intends to go past C++ 11 in the
next year if enough people complain here its maintainer could be
persuaded to hold off until the end of 2023?

Niall