From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-08-18 14:07:54

On Thu, Aug 17, 2023 at 5:25 PM Klemens Morgenstern via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> > What's the rationale behind BOOST_ASYNC_USE_STD_PMR and friends?

I see that Boost.Async is using allocators in some way but I have not
looked at the library or its documentation. Was this something that was
shoved in "just because" or will I find some examples of how to use the
library with allocators to achieve specific goals such as improving
performance? A discussion of when custom allocators are helpful? Any sorts
of benchmarks or list of tradeoffs? Some analysis on common patterns for
how the library allocates memory and how to optimize it?

I find the knee-jerk practice of "adding allocator support" to a library
without rationale or rigor, simply to achieve a checkmark on a list of
features, to be a poor engineering principle.

Thanks