From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-09-28 16:40:29

Andrey Semashev wrote:
> > According to the log, the script tries to build process_jam_log.exe using
> > msvc-10.0.
> >
> > Since process_jam_log depends on Boost.Filesystem, which now requires
> > C++11, the build silently fails.
>
> Which brings me back to the idea[1] that Boost.Build should probably
> show a warning when an explicitly requested target is not built because
> of unsatisfied requirements.

I grow increasingly convinced that the way these requirements work
(add <build>no if the requirement isn't met) is no longer what we need.

It's much preferable to have the compile error instead.

In other words, the libraries adding requirements of this kind is in my
opinion not a feature. It creates more problems than it solves - if it even
solves any.