From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-11-10 01:55:36

Marshall Clow wrote:
> On Nov 9, 2023, at 3:28 PM, Peter Dimov via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Marshall Clow wrote:
> >> The libraries were built successfully using C++11/14/17/20/2B.
> >>
> >> However, when building for C++03, the following libraries failed to build
> >>
> >> * Any
> >> * lexical_cast
> >> * thread
> >> * type_index
> >
> > These libraries don't support C++03 anymore.
>

> Apparently not everyone has gotten the message.
> lexical_cast.h is included from boost/graph/graphml.hpp
> any.h is included from contract.
>
> Here are the files that failed to compile:
[...]

I think I remember that libc++ supported some C++11 library
features even under C++03, so under a different stdlib there
might be even more failures.

> Looking at the meta/libraries.json files.
> Boost.Contract has no language requirement
> Boost.Graph requires C++03.
> Boost.ProgramOptions requires C++11 — so why is it getting built?
> Boost.Thread requires C++11 — so why is it getting built?

meta/libraries.json doesn't affect what is and what isn't getting built.

But the first question we need to answer before proceeding is, are we
going to even support building under C++03? Not much is going to get
built (if anything at all.)

Investing effort into making sure everything is good and proper under
C++03 doesn't seem to have much return.