From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-11-26 01:55:46

On Fri, Nov 24, 2023 at 12:58 PM Дмитрий Архипов via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Boost.Scope is a small library implementing utilities defined in
> <experimental/scope> from C++ Extensions for Library Fundamentals v3
> with a few extensions.

So... "with a few extensions." I would like to have a discussion about
this. Over the years I have seen little problems pop up with libraries
that mirror C++ standard library components where we can't deprecate
the library or suggest that users switch to the std alternative,
because Boost has "added a few extensions." I can't recall any
particular examples but I know they exist.

Since this Boost.Scope is not yet published, do we really want to be
adding extensions to std components? A common complaint is that Boost
duplicates functionality that exists in the standard. If we offer
extensions this only furthers the rift and creates friction for
switching back and forth.

What do you all think?

Thanks,

Vinnie