From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-11-30 15:54:36

It occurs to me that newcomers to the mailing list will not have any
understanding of Boost culture or its development process. For example
there is a recurring theme where a new person will ask about "what
documentation toolchain does Boost use." The answer of course is that every
library has considerable autonomy to define how it wants to generate its
documents. The only requirement is that the final result is rendered as
HTML.

Another example is the idea that there is a "CEO of Boost." Or rather that
there are particular individuals who have some sort of decision-making
authority for the entire libraries.

Or another example, why we use mailing lists over dedicated forum software.

We might consider putting together a document which centralizes all of the
collected wisdom and knowledge about Boost culture including the history of
its evolution and why some things are the way that they are. This would
facilitate the entry of newcomers to places like the mailing list which
assume that participants already know a lot about Boost culture.

This could become a chapter in the new Contributor Guide:

https://www.preview.boost.org/doc/contributor-guide/index.html

Thanks