From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-12-03 19:12:50

On Sun, Dec 3, 2023 at 10:12 AM Andrzej Krzemienski <akrzemi1_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> Boost used to be a testing and experimentation ground before LWG. Are you
> saying LWG doesn't need new libraries? Or that the community doesn't need
> standard-library-like libraries?

I'm not saying either of things things. What I am saying is that

> "Reinventing"? It sounds like "we are a group of people, one adventure
> ended, let's look for a new one". Is that what you mean?

In a sense, yes. Boost's first adventure was building world-class,
peer-reviewed components destined for standardization with the accompanying
field experience and bar of excellence that is Boost tradition. As authors
have discovered that the bar of quality for standardization is considerably
lower than that required for inclusion in the Boost library collection,
Boost is no longer seen as a waypoint along the journey to standardization.

So, are Beast, AEDIS, MySql and now this MQTT5 working well together? Do
> they use similar structure, naming conventions and the design?

Yes, quite well in fact, this is precisely why I linked the Boost
Servertech project! Did you have a look? All the authors and stakeholder
are in the Slack C++ Language workspace working on this project together,
and adjusting their respective libraries to achieve synergy (check out the
#boost-servertech channel):

https://github.com/anarthal/servertech-chat
https://anarthal.github.io/servertech-chat/01-architecture.html
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZQrod1crs8EaNLLqSYIRMacwR3Rv0hC5l-gfL-jOp2M/edit

Advantage over what?

An advantage over downloading individual standalone libraries from
different authors, where those libraries come with no guarantee of
maintenance and no peer-review. Individual libraries also do not leverage
the up-front cost of installing Boost. That is to say, that if you have
already integrated Boost into your project, new libraries such as
Boost.Aedis or Boost.MySQL become available with no additional integration
cost.

Thanks