From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-01-08 16:11:25

On 1/8/24 18:53, Sam Darwin wrote:
>> Cloudflare
>
> 2.8 Limitation on Serving Non-HTML Content
> The Services are offered primarily as a platform to cache and serve web
> pages and websites. Unless explicitly included as part of a Paid Service
> purchased by you, you agree to use the Services solely for the purpose
> of (i) serving web pages
>
>> What's the purpose of development snapshots?
>
> - The existing scripts that publish official releases do that by using
> the development snapshots. Renaming the latest snapshot, which was built
> using CircleCI.
> - Constantly validating the full build process through CircleCI
> - 'develop' and 'master' docs are sourced from the snapshots. Notice the
> 'develop' in this URL.
> https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/develop/tools/boostdep/doc/html/
> <https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/develop/tools/boostdep/doc/html/>
> - a 'git checkout' would still need to compile the html files. After
> that has been done, it's convenient to zip the results, and upload them
> to the web server.

Boost's internal processes (e.g. that the website uses snapshots to
publish docs from develop and master) can be changed, if needed. That
is, if snapshots are problematic to serve, and the sole their user is
Boost itself, we should be able to do without them. For example, update
the website from CI itself.

I was more interested in whether the actual users need them.