From: Boris Kolpackov (boris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-01-25 14:08:31

Andrey Semashev via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> writes:

> If the problem is with OpenSSL in general then no amount of work on
> b2 or Boost will fix it.

If the problem is with the OpenSSL's build (as I believe is the case),
then you could (1) port it to use b2 as the build system and (2) add a
package management solution to b2 so that it's easy to get automatically
as a dependency.

We, for example, have done (1) for build2 and now OpenSSL can be easily
built[1] from source for all the major platforms/compilers and used as a
dependency in various other packages that use (or were ported to) build2,
such as libasio, libevent, libcurl, libboost-mysql, etc.

It was a lot of work, is a pain to maintain, and we haven't yet packages
OpenSSL 3, but it's doable. You can complain all you want to the OpenSSL
project or implore the larger C++ library community to fix the issue, but
unless and until someone actually does the work, it will all be just talk.

[1] https://cppget.org/?builds=libssl