From: Andrzej Krzemienski (akrzemi1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-01-26 07:09:54

Hi Everyone,
This is about https://github.com/cppalliance/charconv/issues/110, again.
Now I understand Peter's point better. std::from_chars is impractical, or
one would say "broken", at least for the case of ERANGE. Actually applying
a patch in https://cplusplus.github.io/LWG/lwg-active.html#3081 will not
make the tool good, it will just make it broken in another way.

In that case, maybe the goal of providing literally a *drop-in replacement*
for std::from_chars is not a good one? Maybe this is the case similar to
variant2, where the community would benefit more from the library motivated
by "how would from_chars look like if we designed it instead of WG21".

That is, an *alternative to* std::from_chars, rather than a
*drop-in-replacement for* std::from_chars.

Regards,
&rzej;