From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-02-13 17:54:28

On 2/13/24 18:47, Phil Endecott via Boost wrote:
> Louis Tatta wrote:
>> Your insights a few months ago were incredibly helpful, and as we
>> approach
>> the launch, we'd value your final review. If you have a moment to look
>> over
>> the site again and note any issues or suggestions, it would be of great
>> help.

[snip]

> I see there is also a "Terms of Use" page which is longer than the privacy
> policy page. I don't have time to look at it in detail now, sorry, but
> a cursory glance suggests that it is also unacceptable. To be honest, as
> it stands now, I would suggest that *no-one who is using Boost in a product
> even visit the website* because by doing so you appear to be agreeing to a
> whole load of terms in which C++ Alliance claim to own all of Boost and
> permits us to use it "solely for your personal, non-commercial use or
> internal business purpose."

FYI, I also have an issue with the Terms of Use page, which I summarized
here:

https://github.com/cppalliance/temp-site/issues/956

The wording does indeed suggest that all content on the website,
including library documentation, release notes and downloads are part of
the website and are under the Terms of Use conditions. Which contradicts
Boost Software License on a few points and claims that The C Plus Plus
Alliance, Inc. owns all that content. At least, that's my reading of the
terms.

I agree that the current wording cannot go live as an official Boost
website. I also think, if there needs to be a page like Terms of Use
then it should be composed with help of a lawyer. The new website should
not introduce restrictions compared to the current website, neither to
Boost users nor to Boost library authors and maintainers.